Friday, February 1, 2008

Guest Blog--Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally Carter

Last spring I read Ally Carter's book I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have to Kill You and thoroughly enjoyed it. When I had the chance to read the sequel Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy, I was enthusiastic. However, it took me about two weeks to read the first 84 pages. Finally last night I picked it up again and could not put it down until I had read the final page.

I did not enjoy this book for young adults as much as I did the first one. The first novel had me laughing and crying as I read about the fictitious life of a fifteen year old girl in a private school for potential spies.

However, I did think that Carter captured the mixed emotions of a teenaged girl who is out done by a boy her age and then finds herself attracted to the same boy who she feels has teased her and put her down.

Although I did not enjoy it as much as the original novel, I would not hesitate to suggest that my twelve year old granddaughter read it. It has feelings she would recognize as well as elements that will make her feel that girls can do anything they set out to do.

No comments: