Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Life Without Books

Apparently, 1 in 4 American adults has not read a book in the past year. Clearly, this statistic is disturbing, alarming, distressing, disgusting, etcetera, etcetera.

I can’t imagine not reading books, and I wonder if there are actually adults who go through life without reading at all.

Even if you took away all of my books (perish the thought), I’d still have to get my daily reading fix. Here are a few websites I have to look at everyday (yes, I just might have OCD):

  • MyFamily: My family has its own website where we post news and photos. I love this site, and it breaks my heart when my family members don’t post on a regular basis. It’s way better than actually talking to each other.
  • My local paper: Notice that I didn’t put a link or a name. The paper is that bad. But it is also the only way of finding local news. For example, today I learned that children under five are banned from local swimming pools because of too much pooping (or something along those lines). How could I live without that knowledge?
  • USA Today: To paraphrase my brother-in-law, USA Today is the Kia of newspapers. As such, I don’t read this paper to get my news fix. Instead, I only read the Life Section. I love movie and TV reviews, celebrity gossip, and pop culture.
  • BBC World News: I spent a summer in Ukraine, and I had only two English stations—EuroSport and BBC World News. For the first time, I realized that snooker is a fascinating sport and that the United States is not the only country in the world. Since then, I’ve read the BBC World News website on a daily basis to keep track of global developments.
  • Lonely Planet Thorntree: One of my favorite pastimes is dreaming about travel. I like to follow the posts on this site to feed my fantasies. I’ve even been known to ask a question or two. (Shh, don’t tell my friends that I’m a super computer nerd.)
  • Email: I love receiving emails. Well, I love receiving emails from people I know. So, anyone who knows me, please send more.

Like it or not, there really is no escaping reading. How a quarter of the population avoids it is beyond me.

2 comments:

Wanna-Be Lit said...

Thank goodness you read the local paper. How else would I know about swimming pool poop?

notaconnoisseur said...

Back in the dark ages, I read a statistic similar to this one about nonreaders...I wish I could remember the exact numbers...because the information was not about the nonreaders in the general population but among college graduates. They too turned out to read books infrequently.