Friday, October 12, 2007

Guest Blog--Steeped in Murder by Linda French

I recently read Linda French's murder mystery Steeped in Murder. An acquaintance suggested the book since I lived in the Northwest for four years.

The result was disappointing. This is definitely one of the more mediocre mysteries I have read. The main character, and "detective," is a history professor in Bellingham, Washington, specializing in Northwest History. Professor Morelli's chair dies suspiciously and she gets tied up in trying to find out why.

The problem with this novel is that it is full of unnecessary information relating to the professor's career: investigating Native American burial ruins, delving into the past of a Civil War general--you get the idea. These things are not totally boring, but they are far too detailed and detract from the story.

It's no surprise--Linda French is a history professor living in Washington. I think this is a case of someone's personal life getting too involved in her murder mystery.

4 comments:

Chris said...

I'll make sure to skip this thriller.

Blogger said...

The greatest crime an author can commit is boring her audience. Thumbs down for Linda French.

notaconnoisseur said...

I am with you. I want only the information that leads to the solving of the mystery. I think that one of the reasons that Agatha Christie remains successful is that if she mentions something in the story you can be sure it is something that you really need to know...even if you have forgotten it by the time you reach the end of the book. One of the reasons I have been reluctant to read recent Inspector Lynley mysteries by Elizabeth George is that she branches out into areas that have nothing to do with the main characters lives or the mystery. Does she think a story that is less than 563 pages is not allowed?

Wanna-Be Lit said...

Good, now I know to skip the Elizabeth George books.

And is that REALLY Chris making a comment.